Sunday, May 9, 2010

CUSTER, SOUTH DAKOTA

Second stop of this 21 day road trip. Wow. We’re moving on. For a brief introduction, this national park is a damn rocky national park. They have a lot a lot of rocks. It’s like a small prelude to Mt. Rushmore because the rock resembles the granite rocks of which the 4 presidents face were carved on. Damn nice. And today, we left the friendly Colorado for South Dakota, a stop over before we finally reach Mt. Rushmore. Custer is a small town which is a 6 hours drive away from Denver. The drive was abit Alaska-ish cos I saw familiar snowy capped mountains on the way out. Haha it was a good opportunity for Nancy to have a field of what it was like since she did not go to Alaska. Daamnn nice..What amazed me about Custer that it was very different from other national parks that I’ve been too. It was the first time I saw so many high towering rocks which was different from the view that I had in Mt Rainier in seattle. Standing below and looking up was like wah…damn high leh.


And I drove through this really narrow one lane tunnel inside this stone. I think they blasted it to make a road so that we can travel around it.


Then went to this place lake where I finally saw a reflection lake. Though mt rainier was not the backdrop, I had some really nice view of some rocks.


Halfway through, we all felt damn cold. Like damn cold cos it started to rain abit and it went back to Atlanta weather like 10 degrees and all I had was my Abercrombie jacket. Then it was damn funny cos we all were very niao ji I Had to find toilet. So we went to this restaurant, pee-ed and for the first time in my life, I ate BUFFALO MEAT. Wow… I thought it was not bad. Had a bit of the texture of a foie gras. Haha and then it came with this sauce that tasted like soya sauce for us to dip the meat in it. Haha and we met this Indonesian waiter. Wow right at the other end of the world, felt nice to meet someone whose nationality felt close to home. Haha.

The next day we continued with our little adventure at Custer State Park. This was really quite a small and unknown state park as compared to other park but I felt it had a lot of hidden gems. Driving further down, there was a total change of landscape. We said bye bye to rocks and hello to never ending landscapes that look like teletubby land. Just meadows and meadows and endless meadows man!! Damn nice! A pity the weather wasn’t nice at all cos it was super gray and cloudy, and it rained for awhile. So even though there was nice nice meadows, there wasn’t nice nice blue blue clouds to accompany it. And I saw so many wildlife for the first time!! Though there will be more to come next time when I visit Yellowstone and more. But omg saw so manyyyy bambi!! Really a lot a lot of bambis man. See until dowan to see ah!

And in US, I keep seeing this sign everywhere I drive.

And today, I finally understood what it really meant cos these deers really will run out onto the road. They look like they just hop out of the sign and lucky we didn’t hit them. Damn scary, they will just suddenly pop out and like three by three run across the roads. Ha! Can u imagine if u drive along PIE, then suddenly bambi appear! OMG. Hahahahah I think I would go crazy haha I think the uncles and aunties driving would go crazy too hahaha. Wowww.. So we let them cross and I snapped like lotsa photos of them. But the stupid rain made the sky not nice looking and therefore photos not as nice too. And omg WOOHOO! I SAW MOO MOOS! LIKE LOTSA MOO MOOS!!! But they aren’t the authentic black and white cows. They are just black moo moos. But still I saw moo moos! And there was this stupid moo moo cow that went out of the fence and he was walking along the road. So poor thing leh. Whats the moral of the story, don’t be a stupid cow, and act smart and get out of the fence. Damn poor thing after that cos very difficult to find way back into the fence and I doubt he actually remembered how he came out. So dumb rite. Omg I don’t want to be a cow. And dunno why, I was felt damn high today. Must be the mad view along the drive. Damn high. Plus with all the green meadow, it just makes the whole US seem so big and so vast. Like Singapore becomes so small and cluttered. And today, I drove at a freaking 90 miles per hours, that’s like 145km/hr hahah that’s not allowed in Singapore. Woohoo. And it didn’t felt like how 145km/hr should feel leh. I think I ll die if I drove at this speed in Singapore.


And I must say, even though custer state park is really one of those not so famous national parks, like I totally didn’t hear about it even when im in the US, until when we decided to go to mt rushmore then it popped out, not really popped out la, it has always been there. But I must say, it’s friggin beautiful!! The change in landscape from at the top of the mountain to below with all the nice never-ending meadows. And so much of wildlife like bambis running in herds and my life’s very first bison. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

10 percent of the trip down. Tmr, MT RUSHMORE. Weeee…. FINALLY.

p.s quite stupid cos they say there are a bison national park like got hell lot of bisons, about 3000 of them, but I only saw one pathetic bison like far far away underneath a tree, so where did the other 2,999 bisons go? Idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment